You know the feeling. The sun makes its rare appearance. You’re tired. Maybe you’re feeling gloomy, too. It comes with the territory – literally. I live in a country with four distinct seasons, each with their own unique ability to incite a different feeling or reaction within me. Unfortunately, the onset of winter always threatens to take me down a few notches. I often get sluggish, cranky and bluesy. Do you feel the same way?
This fall, however, I made a few resolutions that I’m hoping will keep my body healthy and my spirits lifted throughout the winter. I thought I would share them with you guys, if you'd like to read. Here they are:
1. Maintain a regular workout schedule: When it’s dark and you’re tired, it can be so easy to skip that workout, heading straight home at five instead of going for a run or to the yoga studio. This winter, I commit to moving for an hour, at least three to four times per week.
2. Enjoy more home-cooked meals, using whole foods that will give us energy. I know the temptations are more prevalent -- heartier meals, baked goodies and my personal favorite, hot chocolate -- but eating a balanced diet with lots of veggies and fruit is the key to looking and feeling your best in the colder months.
3. Make a fresh fruit/veggie juice at least once a week. This technically falls under resolution #2, however I think it deserves its own category since these juices make me feel like a hundred bucks.
4. Read two new books every month. Is there anything better than cozying up with a great book and a cup of
hot chocolate tea.
5. Finish season two of Game of Thrones. Among other TV series that I'm addicted to, including Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire.
6. Explore our new neighborhood. Bundle up and go for a brisk walk. It's so invigorating.
7. Organize and clean out our closets. (Yes, E, this one involves you!)
8. Make this glass of sunshine regularly. It’s loaded with vitamin C and tastes like the tropics (perfect for cold season).
¼ cup frozen mango
1 ripe banana
¼ cup organic orange juice
¼ cup 100% carrot juice (I use this one
1 tbsp seeds (flax, chia or hemp, or all three!)
Did you make any resolutions for fall and winter?
For more smoothie recipes and ideas, visit my blog: aglassofgoodness.com