In my opinion and experience- The Best source of Parenting Advice comes directly from children!
Here are some of the lessons I've heard directly from my sons' (11 & 15) and from other kids too:
- Don't be so bossy- ask/ request nicely... I like to be respected too
- Ask for my opinion on meals, family activities, etc. I have one too and like to be included
- Look at me when I'm talking to you- I don't want to compete with a phone or computer for your attention
- Ask me what I think the punishment should be- if necessary
- Let me make mistakes
- Let me pick my own clothes and shoes
- Don't snoop- if you want to know something- ASK Me!
- Let me pick my own shampoo, body wash, and deodorant- and when I choose to shower- I will
- Don't say "because I said so". If I don't understand "why" I should or shouldn't do something... I may keep on doing it. I do want your guidance (sometimes) and an explanation helps me a lot
- Trust Me
- Don't yell at me in public- let's discuss our issues in private... calmly (being Loud doesn't mean I will hear you)
- There isn't a 'right' age for love. Let me experience it for myself- don't tell me I'm too young. You hope I love you- if I love you... I can love others, right?